COVID-19 Resources for Behavioral Health
March 26, 2020
This article was last updated on March 30, 2020.
We are in unprecedented times at the moment, as COVID-19 affects every individual in a number of ways. The behavioral health industry is especially hit, with social distancing regulations and event closings hurting on-site services, affecting the economy, and increasing everyone's stress levels.
We here at the Behavioral Health Association of Providers want to be here for you and your organization during this emergency. We are based in California, which is currently under a statewide 'shelter in place' order. However, we are able to work remotely and so will be able to help with your questions and concerns about supporting your clients. We also want to keep you updated as to resources specific to this pandemic.
Lists of Resources/Guidance
We're obviously not the only organization doing this. So here's a basic list of other organizations and their links.
- Our partner CCAPP has created a list of Corona Virus Resources for Substance Use Disorder Providers
- Our partner NARR has created a list of COVID-19 Resources for Recovery Residences, Residents and Staff Members
- Our associate member Vista Research Group has a list of COVID-19 Resources
- The National Council for Behavioral Health's list of resources for the public and behavioral health organizations
- The CDC's list of resources can be found here
- The World Health Organization (WHO)'s list can be found here
- The Joint Commission has a coronavirus area
- The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid has a section for current emergencies
- SAMHSA has compiled a list of COVID-19 Resources and Information
- NADAAC has compiled a list of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Resources
- NAATP has a list of COVID-19 Resources
- ASAM (American Society of Addiction Medicine) has a COVID-19 Resource Area
- Shatterproof has a list of Resources for Addiction Treatment Providers in connection to COVID-19
- The National Association of Drug Court Professionals has a list of 13 Online Recovery Meetings & Groups You’ll Want to Check Out
Here are some links to specific resources not listed above.
- The Center for Connected Health Policy has a section that gives you current state laws for telehealth
- The US Department of Justice has a page for DEA guidance on issuing prescriptions for controlled substances during a public health emergency
- The HHS has guidance for HIPAA rules and enforcement discretion relating to telehealth
- The Partnership for Drug-Free Kids has an article on "Accessing Critical Medications for Your Loved One"
- The Temper has compiled a list of "13 Online Recovery Meetings & Groups You’ll Want to Check Out"
- The Small Business Administration now has Coronavirus (COVID-19): Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources
We're also posting several news stories regarding COVID-19 and behavioral health in our industry news section (and on our social media). These news stories are not only specific to those in the behavioral health industry, but also general stories about behavioral health.
Webinars of Interest
Several organizations (including us) are presenting webinars relating to COVID-19 and the behavioral health industry. We're going to try and compile a list of ones that are available for free here.
- Our webinar with prenters from Nelson Hardiman, "Help Us Help You Get Paid: Ten Things You Can Start Doing Today to Improve Your Commercial Reimbursement Success"
- Our webinar with our advocate in Washington, DC, on "COVID-19 Relief Package and its Impact on Behavioral Health"
- Our webinar with Balch & Bingham on "Impact of COVID-19 on Behavioral Health Industry: News and Views You Can Use"
- Free Coronavirus Pandemic CE Courses: Clearly Clinical has provided two free courses for those in behavioral health related to the pandemic: "Making Sense of the Pandemic: Psychological Impact on Clients and Communities" and "Swiftly Transitioning to Online Therapy, Legally, Ethically, and Efficiently"
- Nelson Hardiman presented Telehealth in Times of Trouble: Considerations for Mental Health and Addiction Treatment (SUD) Providers on March 23.
- NADAAC has a COVID-19 webinar series on their list of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Resources
- The Joint Commission has a replay available for their webinar Preparing Behavioral Health Organizations for Coronavirus
- The Neurosequential Network has a series of video webinars on COVID-19 Stress & Trauma Series
- National Association of Drug Court Professionals has a webinar on Treatment Courts and Covid-19
- The Mighty is doing a bunch of online events for mental health professionals and to maintain mental health during this time
BHAP is committed to helping those in the behavioral health industry during this pandemic. A membership in BHAP gives you something everyone finds valuable: time. Working in the behavioral health industry or managing an organization in the industry can be incredibly complex and filled with ever-changing information for compliance. BHAP gives you resources to stay on top of the rules and regulations for your organization to stay compliant.
In fact, we are offering to BHAP members only a form for informed consent for telehealth for behavioral health services. You MUST be logged into the BHAP website in order to access the form. Access form here.
Learn more about our membership benefits and join today.