Webinar: Substance Abuse Stigma — The Latest Research, Effects, & Steps to Turn the Tide
- Date Recorded: August 26, 2021
- Length: approximately 57 minutes
- Presenter: Ashley Loeb Blassingame
- CE: eligible for 1 CE
- Price: $50.00 (Members receive 50% discount)
Login | Join BHAP
- Questions/Concerns: Contact Us
While a staggering 20.4 million Americans ages 12 and older have a substance use disorder (SUD), only 4.2 million receive treatment. Why? A good portion of the answer lies somewhere in the stigma associated with substance abuse.
This webinar addresses the topic of substance abuse stigma head on. Attendees will walk away understanding SUD, the stigma associated with it, the impact stigma can have on individuals with SUDs, and how the general public and clinicians can help reduce stigma.
Topics covered include:
- The facts surrounding SUD
- The definition of substance abuse stigma
- How stigma hurts
- Public perception surrounding substance abuse stigma
- Substance abuse stigma in the workplace
- Reducing substance abuse stigma, how you can help
- Reducing substance abuse stigma, tips for providers & clinicians
Continuing Education Information
This webinar will provide 1 CEU.
CEs will only be available free to those who attend the live webinar. Attendance will be monitored.
In order to complete the CE requirements, attendees must complete the test. You have only two attempts. More information on BHAP’s CEs can be found here.
Ashley Loeb Blassingame
Ashley Loeb Blassingame is the co-founder and Chief People Officer of Lionrock Recovery, an organization that provides digital substance abuse counseling. As a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor-II, a Certified Relapse Prevention Specialist, and a Certified Arise Interventionist, Ashley has committed her life to helping others find the hard-won joy of a life in recovery.
When she’s not running talent acquisition and collaborating with the executive team at Lionrock, Ashley is the host of The Courage to Change: A Recovery Podcast — a top 1.5% globally ranked podcast. Each week she interviews guests and shares stories of recovery from substance abuse, eating disorders, grief and loss, childhood trauma, and other life-changing experiences.
Ashley Loeb Blassingame holds a Bachelor’s degree from the University of California at Los Angeles. She is currently an MBA candidate at Johns Hopkins University: Carey Business School with a concentration in Healthcare Management.
Download a PDF of the slides here. A reminder that this is for your own use and to not share with others.
The following links provide background information and greater detail related to some of the topics presented in this webinar. While these valuable resources are not required, they are recommended sources for further study. BHAP does not endorse any products or services that may be offered through these sites. These are in alphabetical order by author.
- Coe, Erica, Jenny Cordina, Kana Enomoto, Alex Mandel, and Jeris Stueland. (April 21, 2021). “National surveys reveal disconnect between employees and employers around mental health need”. McKinsey & Company.
- Desmon, Stephanie and Susan Morrow. (October 1, 2014). “Drug addiction viewed more negatively than mental illness, Johns Hopkins study shows”. Johns Hopkins University.
- NIDAMED. “Words Matter: Terms to Use and Avoid When Talking About Addiction”. American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM).
- SAMHSA. HHS Publication No. PEP20-07-01001-2020 (July 2020). “Key Substance Use and Mental Health Indicators in the United States: Results from the 2019 National Survey on Drug Use and Health”.
Finally, if you haven’t already, once you watch the webinar, don’t forget to fill out our evaluation form. Receive a discount code good for 10% off any BHAP webinar for sale by completing it.